Thursday, July 26, 2012

A chapter closes and another begins

I have been working towards my masters' degree for the past two years. I am shocked, surprised, and astonished that it has been that long. It honestly feels like it was yesterday that I began.

We were given three months for this project. The first two months were part A and the objective was to complete the first 2-3 sections of the project. There were official classes and additional homework. The final month consisted of individual meetings with the instructor to answer questions and ensure that progress was being made.

I avoided this project like the plague for the first two months. I couldn't focus, concentrate, or put anything down on paper. Over the past month I spent a good deal of my time buckling down and completing this project. It was turned in this week and I am officially, 100%, finished with my program.

Those simple words do little justice to actually give you what occurred in the background. I was struggling, lost, and could not find my way out of this project. A month ago a woman said, "yes" and she provided encouragement, focus, incentives, and faith in me that I would complete this sizable assignment. I remember praying for help. I was floundering. God answered my prayer in the most unusual manner I have ever seen.

If I was asked three months ago if I could see myself beginning a relationship while I still had my project due I would've laughed at you and called that foolish. Yet, that is exactly what happened and somehow we both managed it. I desperately want to return the favor. She has one more year left of school and has the goal of being on the Dean's List for two more semesters. I am making it my goal/priority for her to succeed. I pray now that I am nothing but encouragement, help, and strength as she finishes up her last year of school.

She has a saying called, "a safety pin" moment. The story goes that a friend needed a safety pin and they were unable to find one through the traditional means. As they were about to give up they saw one laying on the ground a couple of feet from where they were standing. It is a cute way of saying that God somehow provides.

She is my safety pin moment. God provided a way. Historically this would entail an increased desire to focus, the ability to work diligently and complete the project. But, knowing that I needed to get going, it wasn't happening. I needed something or someone to kick my butt and give me that push to carry on. He changed strategies on me and put someone in my life whom I wanted to work for.

I felt my friend summed it up best, "Is she your girlfriend or an elaborate social experiment by your profs to get your homework done? ;)" To answer this, she is my girl. I am her man. We go on dates. Yeah I kind of like her... a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment