Monday, August 20, 2012

It is the good kind of hurt.

I love the feeling my body gets after a good workout. Not the painful, difficult to move feeling when I push myself too hard, but the feeling that I tore something up and it is rebuilding. This is a good kind of hurt.

I planned a bachelorette party this weekend. I don't believe I would ever say that, but I can safely check that off of yĆ© bucket list. I asked what she and the rest of the bridesmaids were going to do and we tossed around a few ideas. As luck would have it I got a Groupon for Crete Family Fun Center. For $35 the group would receive Go Karts, bumper cars, miniature golf, tokens, food, and more for up to 4 people. The girls went and had a good time.

Saturday I worked, went to a rehearsal lunch, and spent 2.5+ hours eating dinner (not because we took forever to eat, but because of poor service). Sunday I went to the early service for church and then spent the day at a wedding. I ended the night peacefully enough sitting on the swing with my sweetheart. I left too late and literally crawled through the door, climbed into bed and went to sleep.

This woman is such a joy to be around. I slept in her presence last night. We had a long day. We were cuddling and she sweetly said, "close your eyes, sleep, and I will wake you up." I dozed for a few minutes; they were precious to me.

Intimacy has changed so much over the years. If I were to say we were intimate together the impression and general consensus would be that we have had sex. I can assure you we haven't and won't. (The exception to this is that if we were to marry then that would probably change.) Sex is something I want to experience, but having waited 30 years I'm certain I can continue being patient. I see sex as a part of intimacy, but only a fraction of it. Intimacy is much more than sex. My working definition includes holding, hugging, personal time together, breaking of bread (read sharing a meal together), proximity, presence, physical touch, looking into each others' eyes, or the giving of gifts. These are all forms of intimacy. It saddens me that if I were to talk to someone, even a friend, and say that we shared an intimate moment, the immediate response or conclusion would be that it was sexual.

I respect this woman, her family, and her honor too much to take advantage of her. I see her as I do my sister. I would want any man who cared for my sister to treat her with the same respect and honor. I would expect the same for a man dating my daughter and I would want her to expect more from her man. This woman is someones' daughter, granddaughter, niece, and sister. She deserves to be treated honorably. I know that how I treat her, show respect and honor to her, is a direct reflection of me as a man. What kind of man am I?

She says I am a cross between Aragorn and Sam. I bring the wisdom and patience that accompanies age and the loyalty, respect, and dependability of a choice companion and friend. She says that I am a good man; one who has always treated her with respect and honor. It is a continual process. I cannot choose to be different the next day and expect the same result. I must be consistent and choose this path. If I do not I will no longer be the man she says I am. I can care less what this world thinks of me, but I value her opinion greatly.

"You are the prefect combination of Aragon and Sam." This may be the greatest compliment I have ever received.

No comments:

Post a Comment