Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I miss your fragrance, sometimes I miss it so much that I can clearly smell you in the air.

I did not have allergies growing up. I was allergic to things, but never animals or nature. Sometime during college I began to get dry eyes, sore throats, and stuff noses. I somehow became allergic to this world. I have functionally lived like this for years. I should probably have this checked out. This should give you some idea of my olfactory status. I can still smell, but it must be very close and quickly passes.

It surprises me that one of the first lingering aspects of another human is their smell. It stays with you. It becomes a sign of their presence and you miss it when it is gone. I remember stories of spouses who have lost "their better half" and their smell is the last vestige of their presence. They keep their clothes because it carries their scent. They refuse to wash bedding because it smells like them. The very real feeling exists that if they are able to keep that smell then their partner is never really gone.

Like memories, smells begin to fade after a while and they are eventually replaced with new scents. But sometimes a smell is carried on the breeze and for a brief moment you are reminded on them.

I love how this woman smells. It is sweet and unique to her. She has gone swimming and her smell remains. I hold her close, close my eyes, and enjoy her perfume. It lingers in my truck after she is gone. I smell something on the air and believe her to be nearby. "Sometimes I miss it so much I can clearly smell it in the air." And the funny part of this story is that this feeling works both ways. She loves the way I smell. It lingers well after I have left. It brings comfort while she sleeps, hope to see me again, and joy when I am present.

I love how she smells. She loves how I smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment