Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Dating a family

I have always held the belief that families are important to a relationship. In all of the women I have pursued (and there aren't many) I have always attempted to build relationships with their families too. My girl finds that aspect of me very attractive. Her family is important to her. If I didn't like her family or they did not like me then it would be a cause for concern in the relationship.

I suspect this is not a popular mindset. What factor should a family play in the relationship between two individuals? They are both adults and can make their own decisions. It does not rest with the family. If the couple loves each other then what their families think should be of little to no importance.

I may not have had in-laws nearby growing up, but that does not mean family isn't important to me. I have witnessed first-hand the problems that arise when a family is torn due to a couple ignoring parents, siblings, and the like. It is painful to witness, let alone be a party to the situation.

I understand the desire to chart ones own path through life, but I feel that independence has been pushed to such an extreme that advice, counsel, and community is no longer seen to carry much, if any, weight. I can understand why that belief is prevalent. I know that the divorce rate is reaching 50% for first time marriages. Why would someone feel that a family could bring anything of value to a relationship when they may have no idea how to successfully endure one.

There are exceptions to this. I have the example of a family who lost a parent and saw the remaining one wither for six years until another remarkable partner appeared. One marriage of 16 years and now one for over 13 years. I can think of no one better suited to provide advice than someone who is happily married twice for over 13 years with no signs of stopping. I know it would be 33 years had the tragedy of life not interfered. This is why I hold out hope that families are important to a lasting relationship. Mine has been instrumental in two and I feel that both of ours will be for another one.

No comments:

Post a Comment