Monday, September 19, 2011

These Posts, They Keep A Comin'

I had the opportunity to see 2 artists recently; Jason Myles Goss and Sara Masterson. I had a William Fitzsimmons Pandora station and Jason kept coming up on it. A group of 3-4 songs and I liked each one.

I found out he would be doing a show in Chicago and talked a good friend into going with me. The opening act (I say act, but they actually shared the time) was Sara Masterson. I listened to a little of her sound before but it was more rock/indie than folk. I didn't dislike it, but it isn't a general style of music I appreciate.

This was a small venue in the back section of a restaurant. There were maybe 10-12 tables and a couple were removed to form the "stage." Both played for a little over an hour and sounded very good.

Jason was pleasant and very amiable. I actually "left him hanging." I told him I enjoyed the show and wanted to buy a couple CD's. I had already shaken his hand and turned away thinking our business had been concluded. Well he actually wanted to shake one more time and didn't realize it. I'm the a-hole in the bar tonight.

As Sara played I started thinking just how attractive a woman is when she is singing. While she may not do much folk, what she did that night was very good. I really enjoyed her set. She is quite pretty, but combined with her musical talents made her otherworldly, maybe even ethereal. It then led me to think of the other women I have known who sing and how much I enjoy hearing them.

It got me thinking about folk in general. My musical tastes have varied quite a bit over the years. Going from oldies (introduced because of my parents), to mild R&B and pop from Hoosier Hot 96.3 on the school bus, to country because of a couple good friends, to a mixture of contemporary christian and 90's grunge in high school to the folk of today. I have soft spots for artists in each of my "phases" but I feel I am enjoying folk the most.

I remember buying cd's previously were I may only enjoy a handful (2-3) songs on the cd and the rest wasn't that good. Now maybe my taste in music has changed, or artists are more purposeful in creating a a well rounded and pleasant disc, but of these artists that have been brought to my attention I enjoy 90%-100% of their cd. I can only think of a few cd's where the entire one is strong (Weezer - Blue album, I'm looking at you).

I have to feel that it is how folk is intended to come across. Folk artists are often acoustic (them and a guitar/paino) or have a limited supporting ensemble. They don't rely upon heavy use of synthesizers, flashy effects, or voice modulators (autotune, though you did give me Lil' John with his what's, yeah's, and alrights). The best way to describe them would be authentic. The way they sound in concert is the way they sound on their cd's. The experience is the same and it's very refreshing to listen to them knowing the experience you'll get.

This one is an oldie but a goodie. She was another girl I met from church. She was beautiful. Long dark hair, kinda tomboyish (grew up on a farm), and ... knew my name (which honestly is about all you need for a guy to think you're cute). She knew my family since before my mother passed away and always treated me kindly during those awkward late grade school to middle school years.

This will show you just how far in my past we're looking. The song I'll forever associate with her is I Think We're Along Now by Tommy James and Shondells. I had a dream (omg I'm remembering a dream I had from back when I was 12ish... not elfish or elvish or Elvis), she was in it. We were in a gravel driveway running away from something/someone and I grabbed her by the hand and this song was playing. That's all that I remember and it became ingrained in my mind that it was about her.

The probability of me seeing her again is very unlikely, but I'll always remember the nice, sweet, dark-haired girl who was kind to me after my mother died and her song.

No comments:

Post a Comment