Monday, September 5, 2011

Ryan Long and Melancholy

I enjoy folk music. The soothing tones have a way of calming me, gently relaxing me, but occasionally they enhance an underlying mood that has been building and present for a little while.

Today I find myself listening to an artist a roommate introduced me to from college. (I really should buy his CD and support the artist, and after almost 10 years, I think I've finally reached a point where I am going to do that.) The CD is Send Up A Flare and contains songs that are hopeful, but in a soft, slow, melancholy manner. They remind me of Amos Lee, but without the swearing and hard living that he often incorporates (mind you I love his music too).

As I sit here and remember aspects of my life I wonder just what am I trying to say, what do I want to "blog" about, and how will this blog reflect upon me. I've decided to take a more anonymous approach to this site. Eventually I'll bring it to peoples' attention, but until then bcoatedb will remain my little incognito section of this vast world ... or internet.

Something that might warrant an explaination; the name originates from a Scrubs episode where Dr. Cox and Dr. Kelso are trying to "break the will" of another resident. She is happy, naive, and it is killing them. In one scene they are discussing how this other character views people and they both comment that people are "bastard coated bastards with bastard filling." I have (and currently) refer to myself as a bastard and well... what better way to introduce myself to this world than with a little honesty. I am indeed a bastard. I might have heart of gold, but trust me, at some point I'll be a bastard and then I'll make sense to you. Why did I choose bcoatedb? Bcb... and b-c-b... were already taken so I was left with this sorry sack of a name. Honestly it is probably for the best since bastardcoatedbastard might be a little offensive if/when it is discovered by friends, family, well-wishers, and ... bastards.

One last thing (and hopefully I'll get around to this), I've been toying with a thought recently about discussing music and women. Every so often a women comes into my life and around that same period a song gets stuck in my head. I begin to associate that song with that girl. The song reaches a point where I want to hear it incessantly (borderline obessively) but eventually fades to be replaced by another. The same could be said for these women who pass through my life. I meet them, become interested in them, and as quickly as they come, they move on.

I'd like to start blogging about these songs and the friends I associate with them. It's nothing vulgar. The biggest hindrance to this will be to remember the girl or the song. Off the top of my head I can remember at least 3 girls and their accompanying songs. Expect an update "soon." (Soon in this regard follows the Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. meaning.)

No comments:

Post a Comment