Friday, October 7, 2011

Here There Be Dragons

I dreamt about her lastnight. We were like two ships passing each other in the fog. I was walking out, she was walking in. I don't think she noticed me. I tried to pretend I hadn't noticed her, while all too overtly casting a longing glance towards her.

I haven't decided on a song for her yet. There are so many that have come to me recently that I have been unable to discern which one I associated with her. So I will bore you with the tale of another person.

I have only known her for a couple of years. I thought she was cute and we shared similar interests for a period of time. I even bucked up the courage to ask her out once... or twice. The performance was fast approaching (read the next day) and I asked if she would like to go with me. She had made plans to attend with others. Ready to commit to this pursuit, I saw her that evening and asked if she had dinner yet. She did have dinner and was intending to spend the rest of the evening with friends.

I consider this asking her out one and a half times. Word eventually came back to me through a third-party that she knew I was interested in her, but she was not interested in me. (I believe the statement was "this guy won't stop asking me out.")

I had just started listening to Counting Crows again and the flatmate introduced me to "Hard Candy." This is a fantastic CD. There were many songs that really stuck out to me but one I could not shake from my mind. Good Times just had this smooth groove that resonated with me. The tune, lyrics, and sound all probably contributed to me enjoying the song. It might have a lot to do with him mentioning something about redhead girls too. I can't really be sure.

I still love the song. It's become a "favorite." (Favorite here is a very lose term as there are usually 2-3 songs from each CD I own that are my favorites. Combine those favorites with favorites from a couple hundred CD's and you realize that I can easily have a couple hundred "favorites.") While my "crush" on her has been smothered (might have something to do with her getting married) I still remember fondly those couple months were I would let this song play on those spring, summer, and fall evenings. I'd drive with the windows down and just let the smooth rhythm play.

No comments:

Post a Comment