Tuesday, September 18, 2012

She. Loves. Me.

A couple of weeks ago I made an impulsive and rash decision to tell this woman that I loved her. I'm not ashamed of that fact, though I was a little embarrassed at my recklessness. I do love her. I love many things about her (character, heart, zeal for God, to name a few). It doesn't change my feelings for her. I have stated my goals previously. I want to see her grow and to be an encouragement to her. I have simply put words to these actions that have been present since the beginning of our relationship.

We spent the weekend together. We broke bread and watched sports together. We watched movies, tv shows, attended an art fair, spent time with her family, and I took her and her sister out on a little date. As the weekend was winding down and her family had moved on, we were going to spend a little more time with just us.

We sat in the bed of my truck in her driveway. The laptop was playing Dr. Who and I whispered softly in her ear that I loved her. This wasn't new. She would always hold me tightly after I would tell her. I tried not to say it too often.

This time was different though. She looked at me, smiled, and quietly said, "I love you too." ... ...

I was shocked; I wasn't expecting her to return the phrase. I was speechless. It felt like my heart exploded out of my chest. It was physically impossible for me to smile more than I was. I wanted to shout and scream and jump for joy. I held her so tight that I was afraid I would hurt her, but I didn't want to let go. I was just so very happy.

She said that she would always say it in return to me. I think I may have told her I loved her a dozen times over the next hour just to hear her say it back to me. I may have been so flabbergasted that I may have told her that I was going to buy her a pizza.

I had a good weekend. I had a very good weekend. I believe I have a permanent smile now. I should probably get that checked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment