Thursday, February 14, 2013

A Disagreement

We had our first fight a couple of weeks ago. It was over something stupid. I got a hankering for peanut chicken. We have a Noodles & Company in town. They have an item called "Indonesian Peanut Sauté." I love this meal. It is the closest to the Thai peanut chicken that I can get in the area. After church that evening I said that I had a place in mind and we set off for N&C.

She is not much of a vegetable fan and nothing on the menu appealed to her. She was willing to stay and let me have my meal and then we could pick something up for her afterwards. I did not like that idea. I wanted to eat with her. So I wanted to leave and go to a place where we both could enjoy something. She wanted to stay to appease me. I wanted to go to appease her. There was a stalemate. Eventually she conceded.

It wasn't until we got home that I was able to accurately describe why I wanted to find something we both could enjoy. I wanted to eat with her; share a meal with her. I didn't want to eat "alone" and then have her eat "alone." Most importantly, I didn't want to put my wants over hers. I do not want to be a man who puts himself and his desires over hers (or others for that matter). It is a continual fight within me.

I shared that with her. I told her that I don't want to be a man who puts himself, his wants, his desires first. I would rather share a meal with her at place we both enjoy than to eat "alone." The food would not taste as good. I would not enjoy the meal. The company would not be as sweet.

Our fight ended almost as quickly as it started. We both knew how silly and inconsequential it was. Fighting over where to go to dinner. Man ... First-World-Problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment